Our Client is a highly respected charity that services the Jewish community. They are looking for a Financial Controller to join them, initially on a 6-month contract but with a strong chance of becoming permanent.
The successful candidate will be working with a small team of full-time individuals as part of their finance team. He/she must be a qualified accountant and will support the COO to ensure that they meet the requirements of the year end audit for the main charity, their investment fund as well as 6 smaller charities which are not audited.
All of the accounts and records are held within Xero including approvals. The Financial Controller will administer the system where required.
The Financial Controller will be the senior accountant within the finance team and will be needed to provide guidance to the team to ensure deadlines are met.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare monthly management accounts and periodic accounts for 2 welfare charities.
- Responsible for the year-end accounts for all charities
- Prepare lead schedules for auditors with input from the finance team
- Prepare all balance sheet reconciliations, review and approve the bank recs
- Book agreed audit adjustments and reconcile the opening balance sheet
- Be the main point of contact for the auditors
- Prepare financial related materials for the monthly Board meetings and quarterly Finance Committee meetings. Act as secretary for the Finance Committee and S&P Common Investment Fund by preparing agendas and taking and preparing minutes.
- Prepare short term and long term cashflow analysis on a periodic basis.
- Prepare a 3 year forecast for the fiscal year ending 31st October 2022 (plus 2 years), to be presented to management and auditors as part of going concern workings.
Banking and Treasury
- Be the main contact for the bank and make payments within the delegated financial limits.
- Update bank mandates
- Assist with opening and closing of bank accounts where required
Payroll and HR administration
- Review and approve the monthly payroll.
- Be administrator of the cloud based HR system, overseeing the maintenance of staff files and contracts.
- Support with preparing employment contracts and financial on-boarding of new employees.
- Ensure all HR records are updated when changes occur to ensure this reconciles with the payroll.
- Ensure that all HR records remain confidential at all times.
- Qualified accountant with at least 5 years’ working experience after qualifying.
- Either worked as an auditor or prepared accounts for audit.
- Good technical knowledge in UK GAAP and ideally Charities SORP.
- Xero accounting software – advanced knowledge.
- Experience of working in the not-for-profit / charity sector highly desirable.
- A team player with the ability to communicate effectively with superiors and subordinates.
- Good written and presentational skills.
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to manage people and motivate them to produce excellent results.
- Ability to formulate policies in line with strategy.